Bringing Surround Sound Home
This programme is expected to change slightly. It is posted here simply to give you and idea of what will be covered during SurroundView 96.
9:00-9:05 AES Toronto Exec
- Introduce Master of Ceremonies, Tomlinson Holman
9:05-9:15 Tomlinson Holman, TMH Corporation
- Set up the theme of the day, Bringing Surround Sound Home
9:15-9:45 Ian Masters, Sound&Vision
Surround Sound at Home: The Consumer's Perspective
- what do consumers own, what do they want, where are things headed?
- market penetration
- is this Quad II?
- will DVD fly?
- is surround only for movies or for music-only too?
- is this marketing hype to sell more speakers and amps or do consumers want this in their homes?
- how the industry is pitching this to consumers
- who are the players (consumer gear & software manufacturers)
9:45-10:30 Brad Hohle, Dolby Laboratories
How Surround Sound Came Home
- Dolby's contribution to bringing surround sound home
- multichannel media
- which ones are making use of encoded sound
- what media is Dolby Digital positioned for
- evolution from encoded multichannel to discrete
- how do they co-exist, what are the benefits of pushing ahead
- how does the audio professional get involved, why should s/he
- practical realities of current home market
10:50-11:40 Tomlinson Holman
How Many Channels?
- review of literature and own research on appropriate number of channels for surround sound playback
- should there be a defined limit?
- how will manufacturers determine what is optimum number?
- direction manufacturers currently appearing to be headed
- work that AES has been doing to influence the outcome
- work that other organizations have been doing
11:40-12:30 John Eargle, Delos Records
Production Techniques for Surround Sound Music
- when, why and how to record music for multichannel playback
- what are practical considerations
- what extra cost in dollars and time
- direction he is headed with Delos and why
- promise of DVD-Audio format
12:30 - 1:15 LUNCH (included in admission)
1:15-2:00 Tomlinson Holman
What Multichannel Audio Does for Music
- why the music industry should/may/will move toward multichannel audio
- info on newly formed association
- how seriously is this being taken by music industry?
- who is involved and what directions are being taken?
At the beginning of the day particpants will be placed in one of 4 groups of 30. During this part of the programme the groups will rotate through the various demos. Everybody will see all the demonstrations.
Discrete Multichannel Music Recordings
- demonstration of source material in discrete multichannel room (PSB)
- what effects can be achieved
- what are potentials
- what are pitfalls
Multi-channel mixing: sound-for-picture
Brad Hohle, Dolby Laboratories
- matrixed and discrete multichannel mixing concepts
- overview: Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital
- what these technologies are
- basic review of how they work
Surround Sound in the Home
TV Broadcast/Transmission Issues
- consumers' expectations for audio are higher given introduction of home theatre and competition from other media
- how do broadcast and cable companies stack up?
- the importance of delivering a quality product to the home
- tapes of cable distributed and off-air compared to source
5:00-5:30 Panel Discussion
- panelists discussion
- questions from the floor
| TORONTO AES HOMEPAGE |
Audio Engineering Society
This page was created Sunday, May 19, 1996 at 2:29 PM.
It was last updated Mon, May 20, 1996 at 1:10 AM.
Please contact TorontoAES@vex.net to report any problems.